American moving to GERMANY and wonder....

Mariposaabc

Hi
New here and our german friends told us this would be a good place to get some legit answers :winke

We are an American Family with only me actually having American and German citizen thanks to my Grandparents who moved to Germany 1936.

My husband works in the Law Enforcement since 2005 and I am too since January this year. My Job and Education before had been a writer since 2006.

We visit Europe often before we had kids. Our oldest will be graduating High School next year and that is when we are moving to Germany.
Paper work and all is pretty much done.

Accept one tiny and important point. Do GERMANS allow American Police Officers to work as such? He speaks German well with accent. Is familiar with most Investigation Law's etc.
We both have good college credits and degree's...

We are both 36 years old and I know that German's ''burokratie'' could be a little pain in the butt.
German police officers dont even know when we asked and got some pretty arrogant responses :telefonieren:telefonieren:vortrag

Any tips or experiences are greatly appreciated :winke:schmacht

Ezri

Adminchen
Administrator
Polizeiausbildung in Deutschland ? Wikipedia

Bewerber müssen außerdem die deutsche Staatsbürgerschaft oder diejenige eines anderen EU-Staates besitzen, in geordneten wirtschaftlichen Verhältnissen leben und sie dürfen nicht vorbestraft sein. Darüber hinaus gelten gewisse Altersgrenzen: Das Mindestalter liegt meist bei 16 oder 17 Jahren, das Höchstalter zwischen 24 und 36 Jahren. Für Frauen ist in der Regel eine Körpergröße von mindestens 160 cm, für Männer von mindestens 165 cm vorgeschrieben.

ruby64

Das betrifft aber Ausbildung, Ezri. Ob es evtl. für ausgebildete Polizisten anders sein könnte?

Frogsta

Hi Mariposaabc,
welcome to our little community here :)
The most members here want to go the other direction.... anyway....

I think i remember that you need the German or any other European Union Citizenship as Police Man,the same is for "Bundespolizei" - Bordercontrol.
But with your Education Degrees you will find a Job, i'am pretty shure.

Mayby you should let evaluate your Degrees in Germany.
Check out this Link:
http://www.bmi.bund.de/EN/Home/home_node.html;jsessionid=29DF85A4355B6EEB85BF38B860F51F54.2_cid373

There are some Job openings.

I found this here:
Citizenship

• To become a member of the German federal police, all applicants must be a citizen of Germany according to Article 116 Basic Law. Any person who has German citizenship may apply as long as other requirements are also met. Any person who lost German citizenship between 1933 and 1945 may have it restored if they want to apply as a police officer with the Bundengrenzschutz.
Physical Requirements

• Joining the federal police force in Germany requires excellent physical fitness. To ensure this requirement is met, the BGS requires female candidates be no shorter than 163 cm and male candidates no shorter than 165 cm. The height maximum for the BGS is 195 cm.
    All applicants are also required to undergo a physical examination by an authorized police physician to determine their physical suitability to serve. Any disability that prohibits range of motion or functional movements will disqualify candidates. All members of the BGS must not be overweight or underweight, which the BGS measures using body mass index (BMI). Applicants and officers may not have a BMI above 27.5 or below 18 kilograms to serve in the BGS.
Criminal History

• The German federal police require all applicants and officers to have a clean criminal record. They make no distinction between misdemeanors and felonies or sentencing and probation. Any person that has been "punished in court" is ineligible to become a member of the BGS.

• The level of experience and training a police applicant has in Germany will determine the starting rank of each officer. Middle police executives must be no younger than 16 years old they day they were recruited and not older than 24 years old. In 2011, the age limit for middle executives will be increased to 27 years of age. Top level police executives must be no older than 31 years of age when they are recruited to join the BGS.
Communication

• The BGS requires applicants to have communication skills to deal with the public. This includes the ability to communicate in English as well as German. General knowledge of any additional languages is an asset for any applicant.

Read more : http://www.ehow.com/list_6759791_requirements-become-police-officer-germany.html

Zuletzt bearbeitet:

Mariposaabc

oh My husband is 5'9 and i am only 5'2. I think its 159cm
He doesnt need the Ausbildung as he is already promoted over here as well.

I will have the only problem and looks like I need a different job. Thank you for the link !!! Vielen Dank

Mariposaabc

Danke Ruby.
This is exactly our question. The online research is based on Ausbildung only. I guess not many Polizei menchen moving from the USA to GERMANY haha :)

Ulrich

Citizen
Das betrifft aber Ausbildung, Ezri. Ob es evtl. für ausgebildete Polizisten anders sein könnte?

Polizisten sind Beamte. Und Beamte muessen die deutsche (eventuell auch EU) Staatsangehoerigkeit besitzen.

Das Beamtenverhältnis wird durch Ernennung (einseitiger, mitwirkungsbedürftiger, formbedürftiger Verwaltungsakt) begründet. Die Ernennung erfolgt durch Aushändigung einer Ernennungsurkunde und widerspruchslose Entgegennahme. Im Unterschied zu Angestellten oder Arbeitern entsteht das Dienstverhältnis nicht durch einen Arbeitsvertrag (Beamte gehören also nicht zu den Arbeitnehmern). Die Ernennungen sind nach Eignung, Befähigung und fachlicher Leistung vorzunehmen (Bestenauslese).

Voraussetzung für eine Ernennung ist, dass Bewerber Deutsche im Sinne des Art. 116 GG sind oder die Staatsangehörigkeit eines Mitgliedsstaates der Europäischen Gemeinschaften besitzen, die Gewähr bieten, dass sie jederzeit für die freiheitliche demokratische Grundordnung eintreten und die für eine Laufbahn vorgeschriebene oder in Ermangelung einer Vorschrift die übliche Vorbildung haben. Des Weiteren müssen die ungeschriebenen Voraussetzungen erfüllt sein. Beamte müssen dienstfähig sein (körperlich, geistig, sowie charakterlich), dürfen nicht vorbestraft sein, müssen in geordneten wirtschaftlichen Verhältnissen leben und allgemein geeignet sein (guter Leumund, charakterliche und persönliche Eignung). Bei besonderen Aufgaben (z. B. im Sicherheitsbereich) darf nur ein Deutscher berufen werden. Besteht ein dringendes dienstliches Bedürfnis oder soll eine Person z. B. zu einem Professor, Juniorprofessor, Assistenten oder Akademischen Rat an einer Hochschule oder einer sonstigen Forschungsanstalt ernannt werden, kann von dem Erfordernis der Staatsangehörigkeit abgesehen werden (vgl. den mittlerweile allerdings außer Kraft gesetzten § 4 BRRG).

Wikipedia

ruby64

Ok, das hatte ich nicht bedacht, stimmt natürlich.

No Mariposaabc, mostly it's the other way round. But surely you will find a suitable job, especially as you can also speak German.

anjaxxo

Super-Moderator
Teammitglied
Citizen
Aber sie ist doch Deutsche?

Oben