Adjustment Of Status (AOS)

Für weitere Antworten geschlossen.


Well-Known Member
Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status

Where to File : Where you file your Form I-485 depends on what eligibility category you are part of.

If you are filing under one of the following categories:

  • Spouse, parent, unmarried son/daughter under age 21 of a U.S. citizen with an approved or concurrently filed Form I-130;
  • Beneficiary of an approved Form I-130 filed by a qualifying relative;
  • Qualifying derivative, family-based beneficiary;
  • K-1 Fiancé(e) (and K-2 dependents) whose Form I-485 is based on an approved Form I-129F;
  • Applicants who are beneficiaries of an approved Form I-360, as a battered spouse or child;
  • Applicants eligible under the Cuban Adjustment Act of November 2, 1965;
  • Diversity lottery winner eligible to file Form I-485;
  • Public Interest Parolees from certain former Soviet and Southeast Asian countries filing Form I-485 under Public Law 101-167 (the "Lautenberg Amendment");
  • Registry applicant filing Form I-485 based on birth in the U.S. to a foreign diplomatic officer;
  • Former diplomat filing Form I-485 under Section 13 of the Immigration and Nationality Act;
  • Registry applicant filing Form I-485 based on continuous residence in the U.S. since before January 1, 1972, or
  • Applicants who are beneficiaries of Private Bills.
File at:

P.O. Box 805887
Chicago, IL 60680-4120
For courier/express delivery:
Attn: AOS
131 South Dearborn - 3rd Floor
Chicago, IL 60603-5520
Filing Fee :
$930 plus a biometrics fee of $80; the fee total is $1,010. Exceptions listed below. There is no fee for applicants who are filing Form I-485 based on having been admitted to the United States as a refugee. Applicants 80 years of age or older are not charged a biometric fee; the fee total is $930. Applicants under 14 years of age: - Filing with the I-485 application of at least one parent have a fee total of $600 - Not filing with the I-485 application of at least one parent have a fee total of $930
Special Instructions :
Please note that, if you file Form I-485 to adjust your status as a permanent resident on or after July 30, 2007, no additional fee is required to also file an application for employment authorization on Form I-765 and/or advance parole on Form I-131. You may file these forms concurrently. If you choose to file the I-765 and/or I-131 separately after July 30, 2007, you must also submit a copy of your I-797C, Notice of Action, receipt as evidence of the filing of an I-485. If you filed your Form I-485 prior to July 30, 2007, you must pay the fees associated with Forms I-765 and/or I-131 when you file.

Download Instructions for Completing Form I-465
Download Form I-485


Well-Known Member
An immigrant is a foreign national who has been granted the privilege of living and working permanently in the United States. You must go through a multi-step process to become an immigrant. In most cases, USCIS must first approve an immigrant petition for you, usually filed by an employer or relative. Then, an immigrant visa number must be available to you, even if you are already in the United States. After that, if you are already in the United States, you may apply to adjust to permanent resident status (If you are outside the United States, you will be notified to go to the local U.S. consulate to complete the processing for an immigrant visa.)
For an excellent overview of immigration, please see the chapter and tables on immigrants in the Immigration Statistical Yearbook. For more information on immigrant status based on employment, please see How Do I Apply for Immigrant Status Based on Employment?. In addition, please see our index of Infolinks that will provide information on bringing relatives to live in the United States. For more information on visa numbers, please see the How Do I Get an Immigrant Visa Number?.

Where Can I Find the Law?
The Immigration and Nationality Act is a law that governs immigration in the United States. For the part of the law concerning most types of permanent resident status, please see INA § 245. The specific eligibility requirements and procedures for adjusting to permanent residence status are included in the Code of Federal Regulations [CFR] at 8 CFR § 245.

Who is Eligible?
To find out who may apply for permanent residence in the United States, please see eligibility information.
(Please note, your permanent residence status will be conditional if it is based on a marriage that was less than two years old on the day you were given permanent residence. For more information, please see How Do I Remove the Conditions on Permanent Resident Based on Marriage?.)

How Do I Apply?
To find out how you can apply to become a lawful permanent resident of the United States, please click here to see Application Procedures, which will help you identify what you need to do. After you submit your application materials, you will be asked to go to a USCIS office to answer questions about your applications.

Will I Get a Work Permit?
Applicants for adjustment to permanent resident status are eligible to apply for a work permit while their cases are pending. You should use USCIS Form I-765 to apply for a work permit. You do not need to apply for a work permit once you adjust to permanent resident status. As a lawful permanent resident, you should receive a permanent resident card that will prove that you have a right to live and work in the United States permanently. Please see How Do I Get a Work Permit? for more information.

Can I Travel Outside the United States?
If you are applying for adjustment to permanent resident status, you must receive advance permission to return to the United States if you are traveling outside the United States. This advance permission is called Advance Parole. If you do not obtain Advance Parole before you leave the country, you will abandon your application with USCIS and you may not be permitted to return to the United States. For more information, please see How Do I Get a Travel Document?.

How Can I Check the Status of My Application?
Please contact the USCIS office that received your application. You should be prepared to provide USCIS staff with specific information about your application. Please click here for complete instructions on checking the status of your application. Please click here for more information on USCIS offices.

How Can I Appeal?
The only applications for permanent residency (Form I-485) which can be appealed to USCIS are those based on a marriage which took place while the alien's application was in process or those based on Section 586 of Public Law 106-429, adjustment of status for certain nationals of Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos. These appeals must be made to the Administrative Appeals Unit (AAU).
Generally, you may appeal within 33 days after the immigration judge decides to remove you from the country. After your appeal form and a required fee are processed, the appeal will be referred to the Board of Immigration Appeals in Washington, D.C. For more information, please see, How Do I Appeal A Denial of My Application or Petition?.

Can Anyone Help Me?
If advice is needed, you may contact the USCIS District Office near your home for a list of community-based, non-profit organizations that may be able to assist you in applying for an immigration benefit. Please see our USCIS field offices home page for more information on contacting USCIS offices.


Well-Known Member
- I-485 Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status
- vaccination supplement I-693a (I-693 ist das komplette medical)
- G-325A, Biographic Information Biographic Information
- I-864, Affidavit of Support Affidavit of Support Under Section 213A of the Act
- I-765, Application for Employment Authorization Application for Employment Authorization
- I-131, Application for Travel Document Application for Travel Document
- All required supporting documentation as listed on the above forms:
-copy of current federal tax return
-check $1010
-copy of international birth certificate
-copy of fiancee visa approval
-copy of passport page w/ visa
-copy of passport page w/ I94 front and back
-certified copy of marriage certificate
-6 passport pics w/ name and alien registration number

Finding A Designated Civil Surgeon in Your Area
Immigration Medical Examinations

- im I-485 wird der neue Nachname eingetragen
- neue Adresse auf AOS Forms, kein change of address, ausser man zieht waehrend des AOS um
- rote Nummer ist "non-immigrant visa number"
- das vaccination supplement ist Form I-693a (I-693 ist das komplette medical, wenn man es hier in den Staaten macht). Um das Formular zu bekommen, nimmt man die Kopie vom deutschen Doktor, auf der die ganzen Impfungen verzeichnet sind (Form DS 3025) und geht damit zu einem USCIS approved Arzt in Deiner Naehe (Namen + Adressen gibt's auf der USCIS webseite). Achtung: Vorher ein bisschen rumtelefonieren, 1. machen es nicht alle und 2. sind die Preise hoechst unterschiedlich.Die blanko Form I-693a hat der Arzt, und er uebertraegt dann die Angaben vom vaccination worksheet auf das vaccination supplement. Das original kommt in einen versiegelten Umschlag und wird mit dem AOS eingeschickt und man bekommst eine Kopie mit nach Hause. K1&K3-Inhaber brauchen nur dieses Supplement solange das Medical beim Einreichen der AOS Unterlagen noch kein Jahr alt.
Für weitere Antworten geschlossen.